In the Business of Manufacturing Custom Pallets
Happy Pallets manufactures custom pallets made to your specifications and in accordance with international shipping requirements. There are no sizes too big or small for us to manufacture.
Product damage, wasted money and decreased efficiency in material handling are direct causes of not using the right pallet in your operation. Hence, knowing some key points about ordering custom pallets will have a positive impact on your operational cost and bottom line.
At the time of ordering custom pallets, the following steps need to be taken in order to meet your needs:
- First, let us know about the type of operation you run and your capabilities in terms of pallet processing
- Our representative will review with you your order specifications, namely, purpose of your pallets, weight to be handled, storage capabilities, transportation requirements, etc.
- With the above information on hand, we will make recommendations in terms of the type of custom pallet you require with regards size, grade, pallet style and type of wood.
Knowing about custom pallet categories, their construction, styles and the right type of wood to choose are also important elements required to design a pallet aptly adjusted to meet your needs.Here is what you need to know about these specifications.
CATEGORIES FOR CUSTOM PALLETS
Generally speaking, there are three pallet categories used in the industry: general purpose, single use and special-purpose.
- General-purpose palletsare ideal for a wide variety of material handling applications. They are versatile in use and perform well for most industries
- Single-use palletsare discarded after one trip which makes it a costly variant. These pallets come in two configurations:
- Special-purpose pallets are designed and manufactured based on the specific features of the product to be carried. Because of this reason, the design possibilities are endless. These pallets are often reusable.
- Block pallets: blocks are used instead of stringers to save on weight and lumber content. These are usually four-way pallets.
- No-block pallets: they resemble unitized crate panels and feature a two-way design. They are usually handled with saber forklift truck attachments, because the opening heights are small.
CUSTOM PALLET CONSTRUCTION
Pallet structural construction is essential to ensure the custom pallet performs efficiently when handling particular loads or attaining appropriate stacking levels. Common pallet constructions include:
- Flush stringer: the pallet’s outside stringers or blocks are flush with the ends of its deckboards.
- Single wing: the pallet’s outside stringers are set inboard of the top deck, while the stringers are flush with the ends of the bottom deckboards.
- Double wing: the pallet’s outside stringers are set inboard of both the top and bottom deckboards to accommodate bar slings or other devices for handling pallets.
CUSTOM PALLET STYLES
Based on the type of load to be handled, custom pallets can have different styles.
- Single-face palletshave only one deck as the top surface.
- Double-face palletshave both top and bottom decks, which come in two different designs:
- Reversible palletshave identical top and bottom decks, so goods can be stacked on either side.
- Non-reversible pallets‘ top and bottom decks have different openings, so goods can only be stacked on the top side.
CHOOSE THE RIGHT WOOD
The following handling variables need to be considered before choosing a wood species for your pallets. Also the pallets’ intended use is a factor to keep in mind, namely, whether they will be used for storage, intra-plant movement, or shipment.
- The expected wear and tear on the pallets from forklifts and hand trucks.
- The degree of impact to be exerted on the pallets during loading.
- The amount of static load expected.
- The type of handling equipment to be used.
- The amount of torsional strength needed.
Happy Pallets’ selection includes all types of domestic hardwood and softwood. In terms of cost and quality, we will work with you to choose the right pallet and to specially design the pallet that best suits your requirements.
In our ongoing effort to protect the environment and save costs, we will assess the possibility of reducing the wood fiber per pallet to whichever extent possible while still maintaining the pallet’s structural integrity and quality.
Armed with the information above, you are now ready to place your custom pallet order. One of our representatives will be happy to assist you!